Friday 20 July 2012

Open Letter To Mortonhall G.C. Members

Dear All,

I would to thank all the members and staff at Mortonhall for supporting my 10-Round Challenge, raising money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

I received countless well-wishes from members and guests at the Club, both in preparation for and during the day itself. The support I received from staff at MGC was incredible, helping me organise the day and helping raise more than £15,000 that will be used to grant wishes for kids in the area fighting life-threatening conditions.

When I was considering organisations that might benefit from the day, I was sent a DVD by the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The first story on the film documented the wish of a young boy named Nicholas, 16, who had been battling Leukaemia since he was 18 month old, and more recently a pair of brain tumours.

During his battle, Nicholas contacted the Make-A-Wish Foundation wishing to own a set of golf clubs. Last year, Make-A-Wish paid for Nicholas and his family to visit the headquarters of Callaway Golf, to fit Nicholas with his own set of clubs and give him a tour of their facility.

It is easy to take for granted how fortunate many of us are to be in good health and enjoy clubs such as Mortonhall. The Make-A-Wish Foundation is an incredible organisation that looks out for those kids that are not so lucky.

Every penny raised from challenge will go directly to the Foundation and kids in our area of Scotland. So on behalf of myself, the Foundation and all the families that they help…

…thank you.

Sincerely,
 
Jamie Kennedy


In addition their support and encouragement, Mortonhall GC donated £500 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation via my challenge. Add to that the £500 raised by members guessing my score, and the Club has provided over £1000 to the Foundation and the challenge. 

In recent years, many golf clubs have struggled with the economic downturn. At Mortonhall, we are lucky that we have one of the finest parkland courses around. Like all clubs, we as members often take it as our duty to criticise the club or the course, but I think Mortonhall deserves a lot of credit for remaining one of the finest golf clubs in the Lothians.

I was fortunate enough, despite some poor weather, to win the Club Championship this year. With my name on that board for the first time, I take it as my duty to represent the club and encourage golfers to join/visit the club. I have been a member since I was 13 years old and have a lot of great memories at the club. I look forward to enjoying many more, and thank the club again for helping make the 10-Round Challenge such a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment